What is a Super Visa Canada?
A super visa lets you visit your children or grandchildren for up to 2 years at a time. It’s a multi-entry visa that allows multiple entries for a period up to 10 years. Although, if you want to stay for 6 months or less than that, apply for a visitor visa.
What is the Eligibility Criteria for Super Visa Canada?
To be eligible for a super visa, you must:
- be the parent or grandparent of a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada
- have a signed letter from your child or grandchild who invites you to Canada that includes:
- a promise of financial support for the length of your visit
- the list and number of people in the household of this person
- a copy of this person’s Canadian citizenship or permanent resident document
- have medical insurance from a Canadian insurance company that is:
- valid for at least 1 year from the date of entry
- at least $100,000 coverage
- have proof that the medical insurance has been paid (quotes aren’t accepted)
You can’t include dependents in the super visa application.
Financial support (proof of funds)
The child or grandchild who invites you must prove that their household meets the minimum necessary income. The following documents are examples of what can be used as proof of funds:
- Notice of Assessment (NOA) or T4/T1 for the most recent tax year
- Employment Insurance stubs
- employment letter including salary and date of hiring
- pay stubs
- bank statements
How Long Does It Take to Process Super Visa?
Most applications for a super visa are processed within a few weeks or less. Processing times vary depending on the visa office.
In most cases, you need to give biometrics if you’re from a visa-required country. After you pay the biometrics fee and submit your application, we’ll send you a letter that says you need to give your biometrics. The letter will tell you how and where to give your biometrics. You have up to 30 days to give your biometrics (in person).
If you didn’t pay the biometrics fee, IRCC shall sent you a letter asking you to do this first. You can only get the instruction letter, if you pay the biometrics fee.
How to Extend Super Visa Canada?
When you first come to Canada as a visitor, you use one of these documents to enter:
- a visitor visa (also called a temporary resident visa)
- an electronic travel authorization (eTA)
- a valid passport or travel document
If you want to extend your stay in Canada as a visitor (stay in Canada longer), you need to apply for a visitor record. A visitor record is not a visa.
A visitor record is a document that continues to give you status as a visitor in Canada and allows you to stay longer. It doesn’t guarantee that you can leave and then re-enter Canada.
You must apply for a visitor record before your current status expires.
Can you Work on Super Visa?
The Super Visa holders are not allowed to work in Canada.